Thursday 26 February 2009

Lick Number Two

After a wrangle with the local Post Office about a registered parcel that they tried to deliver when I was out - twice - I came home last night to this, Lick Number Two.


It's a fiendish mini accordion, as promised to me by Miss Lisa Horton!

Danny had picked it up for me from the sorting orifice and described the size to me on the blower, but I was absolutely baffled. I wasn't expecting a delivery.

But as soon as I saw the writing on it, I knew what it was and who it was from.

Already, it's proving a tricky little device to cretins like us with bunches of bananas for hands and no co-ordination or skill. You slip your left hand through a big strap to press the three buttons, while your right thumb hooks into the other side, leaving your other fingers free to zip around the other keys as you get the bellows action going with a quite tough inside upper arm work-out. The first couple of attempts were soundless and blew the tea lights out on the table. Then we got some wheezy notes going - like a particular strain of asthma. And then we played the accordion, ha ha. Danny was most enthusiastic, soon getting stuck into the tempo of a Bill Bailey-style jazz jam, or the Belarus national anthem (1:51).



But not quite as good or as musical. Yet... There's always room for improvisation. And improvement.

The instructions are a particular joy as they give no clue as to what musical key the instrument is in (helpfully suggesting "the key of the Harmonica". What harmonica? Any old harmonica? I think they come in different keys...) and they encourage you to "add in your own accompaniment with the beat of the music using the sounds 'Boong' and 'Sah' by alternately pressing the middle and top buttons... eg for 2/4: boong, sah, boong, sah... and for 3/4 boong, sah, sah, boong sah, sah...

As we mouth this together, does this remind anyone else of Morecambe And Wise's Boom Oo Ya-ta-ta sketch?

We'll keep you posted with our progress...

1 comment:

  1. 'I'm playing all the right notes... but not necessarily in the right order.'

    ReplyDelete

Speak your brainz here: